NHC HealthCare, Charleston Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) - Full Time in Charleston, South Carolina
Full-Time shifts available:
3 PM-11 PM:
11 PM-7 AM:
Provides direct and indirect patient care activities under the direction of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse. Assists patient with activities of daily living, provides for personal care, comforts and assists in the maintenance of a safe and clean environment for an assigned group of residents.
RN or LPN
Health – Ability to meet performance requirements.:
Education and Training:
- Must be certified nursing assistant or currently enrolled in a nurse aide training program.
Attend in-service programs, as assigned, to learn procedures and develop skills and meet state requirements. Personal Qualifications:
Sensitive to our patients’ physical and psychosocial needs.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Capable of charting accurately in the Patient Care Record or other similar form.
- Pleasant and cheerful personality.
- Tactful and courteous approach with patients and visitors.
- Treat all patient information as confidential material.
- Adhere to dress code as directed by center policy (see Personnel Manual.) PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Responsible for handling and caring for patients in a manner conducive to their safety and comfort under the direction of licensed nurses and patients’ physicians.
- Able to be on feet 7-8 hours per day.
- Able to lift 60-70 lbs. on frequent basis.
- Able to bend, stoop, squat or twist frequently in a day.
- Able to see and hear adequately in order to respond to auditory and visual requests from patients.
- Able to speak clearly enough to adequately communicate with patients who may be hearing impaired.
- Upper extremity mobility which does not impede fine motor coordination and manual dexterity.
- Able to read and write so that center charting requirements can be met.
Report any medical conditions, such as communicable disease, that might interfere with providing direct patient care. Specific Duties and Responsibilities Required:
Understands and practices universal precautions with all patient.
- Performs all tasks/procedures included on assignment or reports to charge nurse any tasks not completed.
- Assists in the preparation for admission of patients.
- Assists in and accompany patients in admission, transfer and discharge procedures.
- Provides post-mortem care.
- Provides morning care, which may include bed bath, oral hygiene, combing hair, back care, dressing patients, changing bed linen, cleaning overbed table and bedside stand, straightening room, and other general care as necessary throughout the day.
- Provides evening care, which includes hands/face washing as needed, oral hygiene, special skin care, freshening linen, cleaning overbed tables, straightening room, and other general care as needed.
- Provides general nursing care such as positioning patients; lifting and turning patients; applying/utilizing special equipment; assisting in use of bedpan, urinal or commode; and ambulating the patient using a gait belt.
- Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration, weight, height, blood pressure and intake and output measurements.
- Adheres to policies and procedures of the center the Department of Nursing.
- Participates in socialization activities on the unit and assists patients to activities.
- Turns and positions as ordered and/or as needed, making sure no rough surfaces are in direct contact with the body. Lifts and turns with proper and safe mechanics and with available resources.
- Checks for reddened areas or skin breakdown and reports to an RN or LPN.
- Ensures that patients are dressed properly and assists as necessary. Ensures that clothing is properly stored in dressers or on hangers. Ensures that all patients are clean and dry at all times.
- Checks unit for adequate linen and supplies.
- Restrains patients properly when ordered. Understands reason for restraint and suggests less restrictive measures if possible.
- Accompanies patients to appointments as directed.
- Provides reality orientation in daily care.
- Prepares patients for meals and services, removes food trays and assists with meals or feeds patients.
- Distributes drinking water, ice and other nourishments to patients.
- Performs general care activities for patients in isolation, adhering to the center’s Infection Control Policies.
- Answers patients’ call lights, anticipates patients’ needs, and makes rounds to assigned patients.
- Assists patients with handling and care of clothing and other personal property (including dentures, glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids and prosthetic devices).
- Collects and transports specimens as directed.
- Reports (and records when appropriate) any changes observed in condition or behavior of patients and any unusual incidents.
- Familiar with Nursing Care Plans and contributes when new information available.
- Assists in maintaining a safe and clean environment, reports equipment that is out of order, reports other problems to the charge nurse, maintains appropriate handling of clean and soiled linen and stores supplies on the unit.
- Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationship with patients, family members, and other center personnel, while assuring confidentiality of patient information.
- Attends in-service education programs and participates in Silver Chair Training, as assigned, to learn new procedures, develop skills, etc.
Practices careful, efficient and non-wasteful use of supplies and linen, and follows established charge procedures for patient charge items. Other Demands:
Willingness to work with the realization that errors may have serious consequences for patients.
- Patience and tact in dealing with patients.
- Review and practice the promises of NHC’s Better Way expectations.
- Willingness to perform a variety of simple repetitive tasks.
- Subject to night, weekend and holiday duty.
- Able to establish and maintain relationships with patients, family members, and other center personnel, while assuring confidentiality of patient information. THE ABOVE STATEMENTS REFLECT THE GENERAL DUTIES CONSIDERED NECESSARY TO DESCRIBE THE PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB AS IDENTIFIED, AND SHALL NOT BE CONSIDERED AS A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF ALL THE WORK REQUIREMENTS THAT MAY BE INHERENT IN THE POSITION.: