WestRock Maintenance Manager in Charleston, South Carolina
WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com .
Maintenance Manager - Charleston, SC
5600 Virginia Ave
North Charleston, South Carolina, 29406
The Maintenance Manager is responsible for providing expertise and leadership to the service and maintenance staff while ensuring the safe maintenance, repair or replacement of WestRock’s mill assets. Assets include 3 paper machines, a pulp mill and power recovery system with 2 recovery furnaces, 1 CoGen boiler, 1 Kamyr Digester and 15 Batch Digesters, and a Wood Yard and Chip Handling system. The Maintenance Manager is also responsible for driving continuous improvement of mill operations to enable efficient, high-quality production of customer products. Responsibility includes: Mechanical Maintenance, Reliability and Maintenance Planning.
How You Will Impact WestRock:
- Provide strategic leadership on maintenance operations to ensure maximum production
- Develop and implement the short- and long-term maintenance strategy to enable operating efficiency in alignment with WestRock’s values
- Create Maintenance Department safety goals and plan to ensure a safe work environment
- Champion a positive culture change within the maintenance organization that drives individual and team accountability and employee ownership at all levels within the department.
- Prepare and manage a 5 year major maintenance plan.
- Control spending to budgeted and forecasted levels.
- Minimize the reliance on contractor resources by continually improving the efficiency of maintenance execution.
- Champion and lead implementation and long term sustainment of strong EPAM processes in work identification, prioritization, planning, scheduling/execution and feedback throughout the mill.
- Champion and lead implementation and long term sustainment of world class equipment maintenance and reliability in predictive and proactive approaches including condition monitoring, lubrication, best maintenance practices, operator based maintenance and when necessary strong RCFA process.
- Create an effective Mill Maintenance Program using industry best practices to maximize equipment reliability and uptime.
- Supervise and inspect maintenance work to ensure the most effective, efficient and up-to-date technology and preferred maintenance practices are implemented by craftsmen
- Manage and analyze maintenance department KPIs to assess operating efficiency and identify opportunities to drive performance excellence
- Monitor and communicate departmental performance in Safety, Environmental, Reliability, and Cost effectiveness
- Provide guidance in the development of the maintenance business plan and forecasts
- Lead maintenance staff to exceed industry standards and set new industry uptime and reliability standards
- Serve as a member of the Mill Leadership Team to align on Mill goals and standards and collaborate on organizational effectiveness
- Negotiate using win-win strategies on behalf of WestRock with the Labor Union representatives on contract issues
- Negotiate using win-win strategies on behalf of WestRock with the Labor Union Representatives on contract issues.
- Ensure maintenance practices support Mill ISO certifications.
People and Culture
- Ensure a safe work environment and adherence to all corporate, state and federal safety, health and environmental policies, procedures and regulations by all maintenance staff
- Foster a culture of care that promotes active participation and buy-in for safety and maintenance reliability from craftsmen
- Ensure maintenance staff is adequately trained and motivated to achieve departmental objectives in a safe, timely, and cost-effective manner
What You Need to Succeed:
Critical Skills / Capabilities:
- Leadership: Leads and motivates a team of people to achieve performance excellence; ability to read people and situations and adjust approach accordingly; proactively leads and enforces initiatives that drive organizational effectiveness; teaches others how to build trust-based relationships
- Decision-Making: Uses strong problem-solving skills and supporting information to arrive at optimal decisions in an appropriate timeframe; knows when to decide and/or when to seek additional input, and drive for consensus
- Problem-Solving: Applies knowledge to frame, simplify and solve complex issues; focuses on identifying root causes to create solutions in a timely and decisive manner; reconciles conflicting and/or incomplete information to develop solutions
- Strategic Thinking: Develops short and long-term courses of action that support the organization's overall vision and mission; balances business, technical, and operational issues when determining a strategy; identifies problems with current strategies and suggests ways to resolve them; incorporates knowledge of WestRock’s goals/strategy as well as competitive, customer, supplier, industry, or marketplace trends into strategic plans; capitalizes on opportunities and manages risks
- Communication: Creates and delivers engaging presentations to internal and external audiences; develops new communication strategies and approaches to communicate data, insights, and critical messages resulting in clear understanding
- Negotiation: Takes a lead role in negotiating issues with others in routine or non-complex situations; identifies and removes barriers to agreements; tries multiple strategies/actions to persuade others; discusses/considers alternatives, persuades others toward a specific course of action, and bargains for win-win solutions; provides input into future negotiation processes or strategies
- Conflict Resolution: Anticipates and takes steps to prevent counter-productive confrontations; manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner
- Microsoft Office - Excel, Outlook, Productivity Suite
- JDE, PLC / DCS or similar CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System)
- Frequent standing and walking in a hot, humid, cold and noisy industrial work environment; non-climate-controlled environment; exposure to extreme hot or cold temperatures; exposure to machinery conditions of over 100⁰F; ability to operate or learn to operate heavy equipment; maintain strict adherence to safety rules and regulations
- Required: 10 - 15 years of experience in industrial maintenance.
- Preferred: 5 + years of experience in maintenance management.
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical components used in an industrial environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and facilitate change.
- Required: 2-year technical degree in mechanical or E&I certification.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical and/or Mechanical Engineering.
What we offer:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.