SC Department of Public Safety Correctional Officer I in Statewide, South Carolina
_**Base Pay adjustments and Institution Incentives
Level I Institutions_ Goodman, Livesay, Manning, Palmer **$32,908
Level II _**Institutions_**
Allendale CI, Camille Graham CI, Evans CI, Kershaw CI, Leath CI, MacDougall CI, Ridgeland CI, Trenton CI, Turbeville CI, Tyger River CI, Wateree River CI
Start at $34,205
After 6 months $35,345
Level III Institutions Broad River CI, Kirkland CI, Lee CI, Lieber CI, McCormick CI, Perry CI Start at $36,241 After 6 months $37,381
Position Requires an attached resume, a brief copy of you work experience in a word document is a sufficient resume for this position.
Provides security, custody and control of inmates in a correctional setting. Duties include:
- Maintain control in inmate dorms, cafeteria, work sites and surrounding areas.
- Instruct and direct inmates assigned to various work details.
- Maintain and report inmate count and daily logs; prepare and submit miscellaneous reports.
- Maintain surveillance and search for contraband.
- Maintain and inspect building for cleanliness and sanitation; requisition and direct issuance of supplies, tools and equipment; maintain inventory of equipment.
- Escort visitors and civilian employees through assigned facility.
- Ensure that inmates receive prescribed treatment including medical and behavioral prescriptions.
- Control gate tower or other special post.
- Make prescribed security inspections and searches of specified buildings, building contents, grounds, vehicles and people and take necessary action.
- Maintain and operate security devices in a security setting, such as gates and doors, weapons and mechanical devices.
- Instruct and counsel officers concerning duty requirements.
- Investigate inmate/resident complaints and take appropriate action.
- Serve as backup for any dorm/building dispute requiring assistance and crisis intervention; make reports to appropriate personnel. Minimum and Additional Requirements
The South Carolina Department of Corrections is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Any misrepresentation will result in your disqualification from employment. Please complete the state application to include all current and previous work history and education. A resume will not be accepted nor reviewed to be determined if an applicant has met the qualifications for the position.
- U.S. Citizen.
- 21 and over.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid driver's license.
- Tattoos: Must not be offensive and/or gang related or visibly located on the neck, face or head. Cannot have been convicted of a crime with a maximum allowable sentence of one year or more, or a fine of $1,000. Must pass a physical exam administered by SCDC. Must successfully complete the Correctional Officer Basic Certification Course within first six months of placement into the position.
Salary: $32,908.00 - $41,866.00 Annually
Location: Statewide, SC
Job Type: FTE - Full-Time
Job Number: 64844
Agency Specific Application Procedures: Applicants must complete the SC State Jobs Employment Application online.
Class Code: JD30
Position Number: 64844
Normal Work Schedule: Other
Normal Work Schedule (Other): 12 hour shifts, no rotation, 2 weekends off per month, work only 14 days per month.
Pay Band: Band 3
Hiring Range - Min.: $32,263.00
Hiring Range - Max.: $41,866.00
Opening Date: 03/06/2017
EEO Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer
Agency: State of South Carolina Department of Corrections
Address: 4444 Broad River Road Columbia, South Carolina, 29210